Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases
Unspecified protein-calorie malnutrition E46- >
- Malnutrition NOS
- Protein-calorie imbalance NOS
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as E46. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- A condition caused by not getting enough calories or the right amount of key nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, that are needed for health. Malnutrition may occur when there is a lack of nutrients in the diet or when the body cannot absorb nutrients from food. Cancer and cancer treatment may cause malnutrition.
- An imbalanced nutritional status resulted from insufficient intake of nutrients to meet normal physiological requirement.
- Disorder of nutrition due to unbalanced or insufficient diet or to defective assimilation or utilization of nutrients.
- Food provides the energy and nutrients you need to be healthy. If you don't get enough nutrients -- including proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals - you may suffer from malnutrition.causes of malnutrition include:
symptoms may include fatigue, dizziness and weight loss, or you may have no symptoms. Your doctor will do tests, depending on the cause of your problem. Treatment may include replacing the missing nutrients and treating the underlying cause.
- lack of specific nutrients in your diet. Even the lack of one vitamin can lead to malnutrition.
- an unbalanced diet
- certain medical problems, such as malabsorption syndromes and cancers
- Inadequate nutrition resulting from poor diet, malabsorption, or abnormal nutrient distribution.
- The lack of sufficient energy or protein to meet the body's metabolic demands, as a result of either an inadequate dietary intake of protein, intake of poor quality dietary protein, increased demands due to disease, or increased nutrient losses.
- E46 Unspecified protein-calorie malnutrition