Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases
Other nutritional deficiencies
Deficiency of other nutrient elements E61- >
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
- code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug (T36-T50
ICD-10-CM Range T36-T50
with fifth or sixth character 5)
Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of drugs, medicaments and biological substances
- , for adverse effects, the nature of the adverse effect, such as:
- adverse effect NOS (T88.7 )
- aspirin gastritis (K29.-)
- blood disorders (D56-D76 )
- contact dermatitis (L23-L25 )
- dermatitis due to substances taken internally (L27.-)
- nephropathy (N14.0-N14.2)
- adverse effect of correct substance properly administered
- poisoning by overdose of substance
- poisoning by wrong substance given or taken in error
- underdosing by (inadvertently) (deliberately) taking less substance than prescribed or instructed
- The drug giving rise to the adverse effect should be identified by use of codes from categories T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5.
Type 1 Excludes
- toxic reaction to local anesthesia in pregnancy (O29.3-)
Type 2 Excludes
- abuse and dependence of psychoactive substances (F10-F19)
- abuse of non-dependence-producing substances (F55.-)
- drug reaction and poisoning affecting newborn (P00-P96)
- pathological drug intoxication (inebriation) (F10-F19)
- code(s) to specify:
- manifestations of poisoning
- underdosing or failure in dosage during medical and surgical care (Y63.6, Y63.8-Y63.9)
- underdosing of medication regimen (Z91.12-, Z91.13-)
- T36 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T37 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T38 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T39 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T40 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T41 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T42 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T43 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T44 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T45 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T46 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T47 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T48 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T49 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T50 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as E61. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- disorders of mineral metabolism (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E83
- E83 Disorders of mineral metabolism
- E83.0 Disorders of copper metabolism
- E83.00 Disorder of copper metabolism, unspecified
- E83.01 Wilson's disease
- E83.09 Other disorders of copper metabolism
- E83.1 Disorders of iron metabolism
- E83.10 Disorder of iron metabolism, unspecified
- E83.11 Hemochromatosis
- E83.110 Hereditary hemochromatosis
- E83.111 Hemochromatosis due to repeated red blood cel...
- E83.118 Other hemochromatosis
- E83.119 …… unspecified
- E83.19 Other disorders of iron metabolism
- E83.2 Disorders of zinc metabolism
- E83.3 Disorders of phosphorus metabolism and phosph...
- E83.30 Disorder of phosphorus metabolism, unspecifie...
- E83.31 Familial hypophosphatemia
- E83.32 Hereditary vitamin D-dependent rickets (type ...
- E83.39 Other disorders of phosphorus metabolism
- E83.4 Disorders of magnesium metabolism
- E83.40 Disorders of magnesium metabolism, unspecifie...
- E83.41 Hypermagnesemia
- E83.42 Hypomagnesemia
- E83.49 Other disorders of magnesium metabolism
- E83.5 Disorders of calcium metabolism
- E83.50 Unspecified disorder of calcium metabolism
- E83.51 Hypocalcemia
- E83.52 Hypercalcemia
- E83.59 Other disorders of calcium metabolism
- E83.8 Other disorders of mineral metabolism
- E83.81 Hungry bone syndrome
- E83.89 Other disorders of mineral metabolism
- E83.9 Disorder of mineral metabolism, unspecified
- iodine deficiency related thyroid disorders (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E00
Congenital iodine-deficiency syndrome
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
Type 1 Excludes
- subclinical iodine-deficiency hypothyroidism (E02)
- code (F70-F79) to identify associated intellectual disabilities.
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E02
Subclinical iodine-deficiency hypothyroidism
2016 2017 2018 Billable/Specific Code
- sequelae of malnutrition and other nutritional deficiencies (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E64
- E64 Sequelae of malnutrition and other nutritiona...
- E64.0 Sequelae of protein-calorie malnutrition
- E64.1 Sequelae of vitamin A deficiency
- E64.2 Sequelae of vitamin C deficiency
- E64.3 Sequelae of rickets
- E64.8 Sequelae of other nutritional deficiencies
- E64.9 Sequelae of unspecified nutritional deficienc...
- E61 Deficiency of other nutrient elements
- E61.0 Copper deficiency
- E61.1 Iron deficiency
- E61.2 Magnesium deficiency
- E61.3 Manganese deficiency
- E61.4 Chromium deficiency
- E61.5 Molybdenum deficiency
- E61.6 Vanadium deficiency
- E61.7 Deficiency of multiple nutrient elements
- E61.8 Deficiency of other specified nutrient elements
- E61.9 Deficiency of nutrient element, unspecified