Diseases of the circulatory system
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I16
2017 - New Code 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- I16 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM I16 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of I16 - other international versions of ICD-10 I16 may differ.
Code Also Help
A code also note instructs that 2 codes may be required to fully describe a condition but the sequencing of the two codes is discretionary, depending on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
The following code(s) above I16
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to I16
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): New code
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To I16
Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease without heart failure
…… with stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease
…… with stage 5 chronic kidney disease, or end stage renal disease
Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease with heart failure and with stage 5 chronic kidney disease, or end stage renal disease
Hypertension secondary to other renal disorders
Hypertension secondary to endocrine disorders
Other secondary hypertension
Secondary hypertension, unspecified
Hypertensive crisis, unspecified
Angina pectoris with documented spasm
Other forms of angina pectoris
Angina pectoris, unspecified
Acute myocardial infarction
ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction of anterior wall
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.