Diseases of the circulatory system
Diseases of veins, lymphatic vessels and lymph nodes, not elsewhere classified
2017/18 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I85.1
Secondary esophageal varices
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- I85.1 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM I85.1 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of I85.1 - other international versions of ICD-10 I85.1 may differ.
- Esophageal varices secondary to alcoholic liver disease
- Esophageal varices secondary to cirrhosis of liver
- Esophageal varices secondary to schistosomiasis
- Esophageal varices secondary to toxic liver disease
Code First Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
The following code(s) above I85.1
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to I85.1
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To I85.1
Varicose veins of unspecified lower extremity with other complications
Asymptomatic varicose veins of lower extremities
Asymptomatic varicose veins of unspecified lower extremity
Asymptomatic varicose veins of right lower extremity
Asymptomatic varicose veins of left lower extremity
Asymptomatic varicose veins of bilateral lower extremities
Secondary esophageal varices
Varicose veins of other sites
Varicose veins of other specified sites
Other disorders of veins
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.