Diseases of the respiratory system
Other acute lower respiratory infections
2017/18 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code J21
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- J21 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM J21 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of J21 - other international versions of ICD-10 J21 may differ.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (J21) and the excluded code together.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- acute bronchiolitis with bronchospasm
The following code(s) above J21
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to J21
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to J21:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To J21
Acute bronchitis due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae
Acute bronchitis due to Hemophilus influenzae
Acute bronchitis due to streptococcus
Acute bronchitis due to coxsackievirus
Acute bronchitis due to parainfluenza virus
Acute bronchitis due to respiratory syncytial virus
Acute bronchitis due to rhinovirus
Acute bronchitis due to echovirus
Acute bronchitis due to other specified organisms
Acute bronchitis, unspecified
Acute bronchiolitis due to respiratory syncytial virus
Acute bronchiolitis due to human metapneumovirus
Acute bronchiolitis due to other specified organisms
Acute bronchiolitis, unspecified
Unspecified acute lower respiratory infection
Vasomotor and allergic rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis due to pollen
Other seasonal allergic rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis due to food
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.