Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
Other disorders of bone
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M89.5
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- M89.5 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM M89.5 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of M89.5 - other international versions of ICD-10 M89.5 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (M89.5) and the excluded code together.
The following code(s) above M89.5
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to M89.5
- Dissolution of bone that particularly involves the removal or loss of calcium.
- Dissolution of bone; applied especially to the removal or loss of the calcium of bone.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to M89.5:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To M89.5
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, lower leg
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, right lower leg
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, left lower leg
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, unspecified lower leg
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, ankle and foot
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, right ankle and foot
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, left ankle and foot
Other hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, unspecified ankle and foot
Osteolysis, unspecified shoulder
Osteolysis, right upper arm
Osteolysis, unspecified upper arm
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.