Diseases of the genitourinary system
Other diseases of the urinary system
Other disorders of urethra
2017/18 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code N36.9
Urethral disorder, unspecified
2016 2017 2018 Billable/Specific Code
- N36.9 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM N36.9 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of N36.9 - other international versions of ICD-10 N36.9 may differ.
The following code(s) above N36.9
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to N36.9
- Disease of urethra
- Disorder of urethra
- Mass of urethra
- Urethral mass
ICD-10-CM N36.9 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v35.0):
- Condition in which there is a deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of the urethra, the membranous canal that conveys urine from the bladder to the exterior of the body.
- Pathological processes involving the urethra.
- The urethra is the tube that allows urine to pass outside the body. In men, the urethra is a long tube that runs through the penis. In women, the urethra is short. Urethral problems may happen due to aging, illness or injury. They include:
symptoms of urethral problems may include pain, difficulty passing urine, bleeding, or discharge.doctors diagnose urethral problems using different tests. These include urine tests, x-rays and examination of the urethra with a scope called a cystoscope. Treatment varies depending on the cause of the problem. It may include medicines and, in severe cases, surgery.
- urethral stricture: a narrowing of the opening of the urethra
- urethritis: inflammation of the urethra, sometimes caused by infection
- 698 Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses with mcc
- 699 Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses with cc
- 700 Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses without cc/mcc
Convert N36.9 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To N36.9
Urethral functional and muscular disorders
Hypermobility of urethra
Intrinsic sphincter deficiency (ISD)
Combined hypermobility of urethra and intrinsic sphincter deficiency
Muscular disorders of urethra
Urethral false passage
Other specified disorders of urethra
Urethral disorder, unspecified
Urethral disorders in diseases classified elsewhere
Other disorders of urinary system
Urinary tract infection, site not specified
Stress incontinence (female) (male)
Other specified urinary incontinence
Incontinence without sensory awareness
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.