Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities
Congenital malformations and deformations of the musculoskeletal system
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Q78.6
Multiple congenital exostoses
2016 2017 2018 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
- Q78.6 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM Q78.6 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of Q78.6 - other international versions of ICD-10 Q78.6 may differ.
The following code(s) above Q78.6
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to Q78.6
- Multiple congenital exostosis
- Multiple hereditary exostosis
- Multiple heritable exostosis
Present On Admission
- Hereditary disorder transmitted by an autosomal dominant gene and characterized by multiple exostoses (multiple osteochondromas) near the ends of long bones. The genetic abnormality results in a defect in the osteoclastic activity at the metaphyseal ends of the bone during the remodeling process in childhood or early adolescence. The metaphyses develop benign, bony outgrowths often capped by cartilage. A small number undergo neoplastic transformation.
- Hereditary disorder transmitted by autosomal dominant genes (ext1-3) and characterized by multiple exostoses (multiple osteochondromas) near the ends of long bones. The genetic abnormality results in a defect in the osteoclastic activity at the metaphyseal ends of the bone during the remodeling process in childhood or early adolescence. The metaphyses develop benign, bony outgrowths often capped by cartilage. A small number undergo neoplastic transformation.
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
ICD-10-CM Q78.6 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v35.0):
- Q78.6 is considered exempt from POA reporting.
- 564 Other musculoskeletal system and connective tissue diagnoses with mcc
- 565 Other musculoskeletal system and connective tissue diagnoses with cc
- 566 Other musculoskeletal system and connective tissue diagnoses without cc/mcc
Convert Q78.6 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- Aclasis, diaphyseal Q78.6
- Diaphysial aclasis Q78.6
- Exostosis - see also Disorder, bone
- congenital Q78.6 (multiple)
- multiple, congenital Q78.6
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To Q78.6
Other osteochondrodysplasia with defects of growth of tubular bones and spine
Osteochondrodysplasia with defects of growth of tubular bones and spine, unspecified
Polyostotic fibrous dysplasia
Progressive diaphyseal dysplasia
Multiple congenital exostoses
Other specified osteochondrodysplasias
Congenital malformations of musculoskeletal system, not elsewhere classified
Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
Other congenital malformations of diaphragm
Prune belly syndrome
Other congenital malformations of abdominal wall
Congenital hernia of bladder
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.