Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
Other and unspecified effects of external causes
Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified T78
Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified T78-
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (T78) and the excluded code together.
- complications of surgical and medical care NEC (T80-T88
ICD-10-CM Range T80-T88
Complications of surgical and medical care, not elsewhere classified
Type 2 Excludes
- any encounters with medical care for postprocedural conditions in which no complications are present, such as:
- artificial opening status (Z93.-)
- closure of external stoma (Z43.-)
- fitting and adjustment of external prosthetic device (Z44.-)
- burns and corrosions from local applications and irradiation (T20-T32)
- complications of surgical procedures during pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
- mechanical complication of respirator [ventilator] (J95.850)
- poisoning and toxic effects of drugs and chemicals (T36-T65 with fifth or sixth character 1-4 or 6)
- postprocedural fever (R50.82)
- specified complications classified elsewhere, such as:
- cerebrospinal fluid leak from spinal puncture (G97.0)
- colostomy malfunction (K94.0-)
- disorders of fluid and electrolyte imbalance (E86-E87)
- functional disturbances following cardiac surgery (I97.0-I97.1)
- intraoperative and postprocedural complications of specified body systems (D78.-, E36.-, E89.-, G97.3-, G97.4, H59.3-, H59.-, H95.2-, H95.3, I97.4-, I97.5, J95.6-, J95.7, K91.6-, L76.-, M96.-, N99.-)
- ostomy complications (J95.0-, K94.-, N99.5-)
- postgastric surgery syndromes (K91.1)
- postlaminectomy syndrome NEC (M96.1)
- postmastectomy lymphedema syndrome (I97.2)
- postsurgical blind-loop syndrome (K91.2)
- ventilator associated pneumonia (J95.851)
- code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug (T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5)
- T80 Complications following infusion, transf...
- T81 Complications of procedures, not elsewhe...
- T82 Complications of cardiac and vascular pr...
- T83 Complications of genitourinary prostheti...
- T84 Complications of internal orthopedic pro...
- T85 Complications of other internal prosthet...
- T86 Complications of transplanted organs and...
- T87 Complications peculiar to reattachment a...
- T88 Other complications of surgical and medi...
- T78 Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified
- T78.0 Anaphylactic reaction due to food
- T78.00 Anaphylactic reaction due to unspecified food
- T78.01 Anaphylactic reaction due to peanuts
- T78.02 Anaphylactic reaction due to shellfish (crustaceans)
- T78.03 Anaphylactic reaction due to other fish
- T78.04 Anaphylactic reaction due to fruits and vegetables
- T78.05 Anaphylactic reaction due to tree nuts and seeds
- T78.06 Anaphylactic reaction due to food additives
- T78.07 Anaphylactic reaction due to milk and dairy products
- T78.08 Anaphylactic reaction due to eggs
- T78.09 Anaphylactic reaction due to other food products
- T78.1 Other adverse food reactions, not elsewhere classified
- T78.2 Anaphylactic shock, unspecified
- T78.3 Angioneurotic edema
- T78.4 Other and unspecified allergy
- T78.8 Other adverse effects, not elsewhere classified