External causes of morbidity
Legal intervention, operations of war, military operations, and terrorism
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Y35
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- Y35 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM Y35 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of Y35 - other international versions of ICD-10 Y35 may differ.
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- Y35 describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- any injury sustained as a result of an encounter with any law enforcement official, serving in any capacity at the time of the encounter, whether on-duty or off-duty. Includes: injury to law enforcement official, suspect and bystander
The following code(s) above Y35
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to Y35
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- intervention (by)
- late effect Y35 (of) - see with 7th character S
- sequelae Y35 (of) - see with 7th character S
- Sequelae (of)
- legal intervention Y35 - see with 7th character S
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To Y35
Falling, lying or running before or into moving object, undetermined intent, subsequent encounter
Falling, lying or running before or into moving object, undetermined intent, sequela
Crashing of motor vehicle, undetermined intent
Crashing of motor vehicle, undetermined intent, initial encounter
Crashing of motor vehicle, undetermined intent, subsequent encounter
Crashing of motor vehicle, undetermined intent, sequela
Other specified events, undetermined intent
Other specified events, undetermined intent, initial encounter
Other specified events, undetermined intent, subsequent encounter
Other specified events, undetermined intent, sequela
Legal intervention involving firearm discharge
Legal intervention involving unspecified firearm discharge
Legal intervention involving unspecified firearm discharge, law enforcement official injured
Legal intervention involving unspecified firearm discharge, bystander injured
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.