Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as A06. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (A06) and the excluded code together.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- infection due to Entamoeba histolytica
- A parasitic infectious disorder caused by amoebas. The parasite may cause colitis which is manifested with bloody diarrheas, abdominal pain, nausea and fever. In rare cases it may spread to the liver, brain and lungs.
- Infection with any of various amebae. It is an asymptomatic carrier state in most individuals, but diseases ranging from chronic, mild diarrhea to fulminant dysentery may occur.
- Infection with any of various amebae; an asymptomatic carrier state in most individuals, but diseases ranging from chronic, mild diarrhea to fulminant dysentery may occur.
- A06 Amebiasis
- A06.0 Acute amebic dysentery
- A06.1 Chronic intestinal amebiasis
- A06.2 Amebic nondysenteric colitis
- A06.3 Ameboma of intestine
- A06.4 Amebic liver abscess
- A06.5 Amebic lung abscess
- A06.6 Amebic brain abscess
- A06.7 Cutaneous amebiasis
- A06.8 Amebic infection of other sites
- A06.81 Amebic cystitis
- A06.82 Other amebic genitourinary infections
- A06.89 Other amebic infections
- A06.9 Amebiasis, unspecified