Certain infectious and parasitic diseases
Infections with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission
2018/2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code A50
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- A50 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018/2019 edition of ICD-10-CM A50 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of A50 - other international versions of ICD-10 A50 may differ.
The following code(s) above A50
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to A50
- A life-threatening bacterial infection of the newborn caused by treponema pallidum. It is transmitted to the infant from a mother with syphilis through the placenta during pregnancy. Signs and symptoms include irritability, fever, failure to thrive, saddle nose, cutaneous rash, and pneumonia.
- Syphilis acquired in utero and manifested by any of several characteristic tooth (hutchinson's teeth) or bone malformations and by active mucocutaneous syphilis at birth or shortly thereafter. Ocular and neurologic changes may also occur.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to A50:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To A50
Other specified bacterial diseases
Bacterial infection of unspecified site
Staphylococcal infection, unspecified site
Methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus infection, unspecified site
Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection, unspecified site
Streptococcal infection, unspecified site
Hemophilus influenzae infection, unspecified site
Mycoplasma infection, unspecified site
Other bacterial infections of unspecified site
Bacterial infection, unspecified
Early congenital syphilis, symptomatic
Early congenital syphilitic oculopathy
Early congenital syphilitic osteochondropathy
Early congenital syphilitic pharyngitis
Early congenital syphilitic pneumonia
Early congenital syphilitic rhinitis
Early cutaneous congenital syphilis
Early mucocutaneous congenital syphilis
Early visceral congenital syphilis
Other early congenital syphilis, symptomatic
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.