Certain infectious and parasitic diseases
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code B56
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- B56 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM B56 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of B56 - other international versions of ICD-10 B56 may differ.
The following code(s) above B56
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to B56
- A disease endemic among people and animals in central africa. It is caused by various species of trypanosomes, particularly t. Gambiense and t. Rhodesiense. Its second host is the tsetse fly. Involvement of the central nervous system produces "african sleeping sickness." nagana is a rapidly fatal trypanosomiasis of horses and other animals.
- A parasitic disorder caused by protozoa of the trypanosoma brucei species. It is transmitted by flies and is endemic in various regions of sub-saharan africa. Signs and symptoms include fever, joint pain, headache, and significant swelling of the lymph nodes. If left untreated, the parasitic infection causes anemia, heart, kidney, and endocrine failure, and neurologic damage. Subsequently patients develop confusion, disruption of the sleep cycle, and mental deterioration. The infection may lead to coma and death.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to B56:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To B56
Other specified malaria
Plasmodium ovale malaria
Malaria due to simian plasmodia
Other malaria, not elsewhere classified
African trypanosomiasis, unspecified
Acute Chagas' disease with heart involvement
Acute Chagas' disease without heart involvement
Chagas' disease (chronic) with heart involvement
Chagas' disease (chronic) with digestive system involvement
Chagas' disease with digestive system involvement, unspecified
Megaesophagus in Chagas' disease
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.