Certain infectious and parasitic diseases
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code B83
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- B83 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM B83 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of B83 - other international versions of ICD-10 B83 may differ.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as B83. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (B83) and the excluded code together.
The following code(s) above B83
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to B83
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To B83
Other intestinal helminthiases, not elsewhere classified
Mixed intestinal helminthiases
Other specified intestinal helminthiases
Unspecified intestinal parasitism
Intestinal helminthiasis, unspecified
Intestinal parasitism, unspecified
Visceral larva migrans
Angiostrongyliasis due to Parastrongylus cantonensis
Other specified helminthiases
Pediculosis and phthiriasis
Pediculosis due to Pediculus humanus capitis
Pediculosis due to Pediculus humanus corporis
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.