Malignant neoplasms of mesothelial and soft tissue
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code C45.9
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code
- C45.9 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM C45.9 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of C45.9 - other international versions of ICD-10 C45.9 may differ.
The following code(s) above C45.9
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to C45.9
- Cancer, mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma (malignant, clinical disorder)
ICD-10-CM C45.9 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v36.0):
- A benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous) tumor affecting the lining of the chest or abdomen. Exposure to asbestos particles in the air increases the risk of developing malignant mesothelioma.
- A benign or malignant tumor affecting the lining of the chest or abdomen
- A neoplasm originating from mesothelial cells of the pleura or peritoneum, for which the malignancy status has not been established.
- A tumor derived from mesothelial tissue (peritoneum, pleura, pericardium). It appears as broad sheets of cells, with some regions containing spindle-shaped, sarcoma-like cells and other regions showing adenomatous patterns. Pleural mesotheliomas have been linked to exposure to asbestos. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- A usually malignant and aggressive neoplasm of the mesothelium which is often associated with exposure to asbestos.
- Malignant tumor derived from mesothelial tissues of peritoneum, pleura, and pericardium.
- The tissue that lines your lungs, stomach, heart and other organs is called mesothelium. Mesothelioma is cancer of that tissue. It is a rare but serious type of cancer. It usually starts in the lungs, but can also start in the abdomen or other organs. Most people who develop mesothelioma have worked on jobs where they inhaled asbestos particles. It can take a long time - 30 to 50 years - between being around asbestos and getting the disease. Treatment includes surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or all three. nih: national cancer institute
- 826 Myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplasms with major o.r. Procedure with mcc
- 827 Myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplasms with major o.r. Procedure with cc
- 828 Myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplasms with major o.r. Procedure without cc/mcc
- 829 Myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplasms with other procedure with cc/mcc
- 830 Myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplasms with other procedure without cc/mcc
- 843 Other myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplastic diagnoses with mcc
- 844 Other myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplastic diagnoses with cc
- 845 Other myeloproliferative disorders or poorly differentiated neoplastic diagnoses without cc/mcc
Convert C45.9 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To C45.9
Other and unspecified malignant neoplasm of skin, unspecified
Unspecified malignant neoplasm of skin, unspecified
Basal cell carcinoma of skin, unspecified
Squamous cell carcinoma of skin, unspecified
Other specified malignant neoplasm of skin, unspecified
Mesothelioma of pleura
Mesothelioma of peritoneum
Mesothelioma of pericardium
Mesothelioma of other sites
Kaposi's sarcoma of skin
Kaposi's sarcoma of soft tissue
Kaposi's sarcoma of palate
Kaposi's sarcoma of lymph nodes
Kaposi's sarcoma of gastrointestinal sites
Kaposi's sarcoma of lung
Kaposi's sarcoma of unspecified lung
Kaposi's sarcoma of right lung
Kaposi's sarcoma of left lung
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.