Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental disorders
Mental disorders due to known physiological conditions
Vascular dementia F01- >
- Vascular dementia as a result of infarction of the brain due to vascular disease, including hypertensive cerebrovascular disease.
Code First Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
- the underlying physiological condition or sequelae of cerebrovascular disease.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- arteriosclerotic dementia
- A degenerative vascular disorder affecting the brain. It is caused by the blockage of the blood supply to the brain. It is manifested with decline of memory and cognitive functions.
- An imprecise term referring to dementia associated with cerebrovascular disorders, including cerebral infarction (single or multiple), and conditions associated with chronic brain ischemia. Diffuse, cortical, and subcortical subtypes have been described. (from gerontol geriatr 1998 feb;31(1):36-44)
- F01 Vascular dementia
- F01.5 Vascular dementia
- F01.50 …… without behavioral disturbance
- F01.51 …… with behavioral disturbance