Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental disorders
Anxiety, dissociative, stress-related, somatoform and other nonpsychotic mental disorders
Phobic anxiety disorders
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code F40.00
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code
- F40.00 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM F40.00 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of F40.00 - other international versions of ICD-10 F40.00 may differ.
The following code(s) above F40.00
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to F40.00
ICD-10-CM F40.00 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v36.0):
- An anxiety disorder characterized by agoraphobia in the absence of a history of panic attacks; the individual fears incapacitation or humiliation in open, public places or situations due to panic-like symptoms rather than a full-blown panic attack.
- An anxiety disorder characterized by an intense, irrational fear of venturing out into open places or situations in which help (or escape) might not be available should excessive anxiety or panic symptoms develop.
- Excessive fear of being alone, or being in public places or situations (e.g., in crowds or elevators) from which there is no easy escape or where help cannot be obtained in the event of an incapacitating reaction or panic.
- Intense, irrational fear of open spaces, characterized by marked fear of being alone or of being in public places where escape would be difficult or help might not be available.
- Obsessive, persistent, intense fear of open places.
- 882 Neuroses except depressive
Convert F40.00 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To F40.00
Persistent mood [affective] disorders
Other persistent mood [affective] disorders
Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder
Other specified persistent mood disorders
Persistent mood [affective] disorder, unspecified
Unspecified mood [affective] disorder
Phobic anxiety disorders
…… without panic disorder
Social phobia, unspecified
Social phobia, generalized
Specific (isolated) phobias
Natural environment type phobia
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.