Diseases of the eye and adnexa
Disorders of optic nerve and visual pathways
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code H46.0
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- H46.0 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM H46.0 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of H46.0 - other international versions of ICD-10 H46.0 may differ.
The following code(s) above H46.0
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to H46.0
- A disorder characterized by swelling around the optic disc.
- Swelling around the optic disc, usually due to increased intracranial pressure or pressure on the optic nerve by a tumor.
- Swelling around the optic disk, the area where the optic nerve (the nerve that carries messages from the eye to the brain) enters the eyeball. Papilledema occurs when increased brain pressure caused by tumors or other problems results in swelling of the optic nerve.
- Swelling of the optic disk, usually in association with increased intracranial pressure, characterized by hyperemia, blurring of the disk margins, microhemorrhages, blind spot enlargement, and engorgement of retinal veins.
- Swelling of the optic disk, usually in association with increased intracranial pressure, characterized by hyperemia, blurring of the disk margins, microhemorrhages, blind spot enlargement, and engorgement of retinal veins. Chronic papilledema may cause optic atrophy and visual loss. (miller et al., clinical neuro-ophthalmology, 4th ed, p175)
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- Papillitis H46.00
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code H46.00
Optic papillitis, unspecified eye
2016 2017 2018 Billable/Specific Code
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To H46.0
Other disorders of globe
Unspecified disorder of globe
Nutritional optic neuropathy
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.