Diseases of the eye and adnexa
Visual disturbances and blindness
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code H53.6
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- H53.6 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM H53.6 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of H53.6 - other international versions of ICD-10 H53.6 may differ.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as H53.6. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above H53.6
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to H53.6
- A disorder characterized by an inability to see clearly in dim light.
- An inability to see clearly in dim light; due to a deficiency of vitamin a or to a retinal disorder.
- Failure or imperfection of vision at night or in dim light, with good vision only on bright days.
- Failure or imperfection of vision at night or in dim light, with good vision only on bright days. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Inability to see clearly in dim light.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To H53.6
Color vision deficiencies
Unspecified color vision deficiencies
Acquired color vision deficiency
Other color vision deficiencies
Unspecified night blindness
Abnormal dark adaptation curve
Acquired night blindness
Congenital night blindness
Vision sensitivity deficiencies
Impaired contrast sensitivity
Other visual disturbances
Unspecified visual disturbance
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.