Diseases of the circulatory system
Other forms of heart disease
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I40
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- I40 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM I40 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of I40 - other international versions of ICD-10 I40 may differ.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as I40. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
The following code(s) above I40
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to I40
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to I40:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To I40
Other nonrheumatic tricuspid valve disorders
Nonrheumatic tricuspid valve disorder, unspecified
Nonrheumatic pulmonary valve disorders
Nonrheumatic pulmonary valve stenosis
Nonrheumatic pulmonary valve insufficiency
Nonrheumatic pulmonary valve stenosis with insufficiency
Other nonrheumatic pulmonary valve disorders
Nonrheumatic pulmonary valve disorder, unspecified
Endocarditis, valve unspecified
Endocarditis and heart valve disorders in diseases classified elsewhere
Other acute myocarditis
Acute myocarditis, unspecified
Myocarditis in diseases classified elsewhere
Obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Other hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Endomyocardial (eosinophilic) disease
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.