Diseases of the circulatory system
Other forms of heart disease
Other cardiac arrhythmias
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I49.01
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code
- I49.01 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM I49.01 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of I49.01 - other international versions of ICD-10 I49.01 may differ.
The following code(s) above I49.01
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to I49.01
ICD-10-CM I49.01 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- A cardiac rhythm characterized by rapid, usually more than 300 bpm (cycle length: 180 ms or less), grossly irregular ventricular rhythm with marked variability in qrs cycle length, morphology, and amplitude.
- A disorder characterized by a dysrhythmia without discernible qrs complexes due to rapid repetitive excitation of myocardial fibers without coordinated contraction of the ventricles.
- A potentially lethal cardiac arrhythmia that is characterized by uncoordinated extremely rapid firing of electrical impulses (400-600/min) in heart ventricles. Such asynchronous ventricular quivering or fibrillation prevents any effective cardiac output and results in unconsciousness (syncope). It is one of the major electrocardiographic patterns seen with cardiac arrest.
- An arrhythmia characterized by an irregular pattern of high or low-amplitude waves that cannot be differentiated into qrs complexes or t waves. These electrocardiographic waves occur as a result of fibrillary contractions of the ventricular muscle due to rapid repetitive excitation of myocardial fibers without coordinated contraction of the ventricle.
- Arrhythmia characterized by fibrillary contractions of the ventricular muscle due to rapid repetitive excitation of myocardial fibers without coordinated contraction of the ventricle.
- 308 Cardiac arrhythmia and conduction disorders with mcc
- 309 Cardiac arrhythmia and conduction disorders with cc
- 310 Cardiac arrhythmia and conduction disorders without cc/mcc
- 791 Prematurity with major problems
- 793 Full term neonate with major problems
Convert I49.01 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To I49.01
Chronic atrial fibrillation
Permanent atrial fibrillation
Typical atrial flutter
Atypical atrial flutter
Unspecified atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter
Unspecified atrial fibrillation
Unspecified atrial flutter
Other cardiac arrhythmias
Ventricular fibrillation and flutter
Atrial premature depolarization
Junctional premature depolarization
Ventricular premature depolarization
Other and unspecified premature depolarization
Unspecified premature depolarization
Other premature depolarization
Sick sinus syndrome
Other specified cardiac arrhythmias
Cardiac arrhythmia, unspecified
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.