Diseases of the respiratory system
Suppurative and necrotic conditions of the lower respiratory tract
2023 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code J86
2023 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code J86
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- J86 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2023 edition of ICD-10-CM J86 became effective on October 1, 2022.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of J86 - other international versions of ICD-10 J86 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
- code (B95-B97
ICD-10-CM Range B95-B97
) to identify infectious agent.
Bacterial and viral infectious agents
- These categories are provided for use as supplementary or additional codes to identify the infectious agent(s) in diseases classified elsewhere.
- B95 Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, and Enter...
- B96 Other bacterial agents as the cause of d...
- B97 Viral agents as the cause of diseases cl...
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as J86. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above J86
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to J86
- Suppurative inflammation of the pleural space.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
- 2021 (effective 10/1/2020): No change
- 2022 (effective 10/1/2021): No change
- 2023 (effective 10/1/2022): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to J86:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To J86
Pulmonary interstitial glycogenosis
Alveolar capillary dysplasia with vein misalignment
Other interstitial lung diseases of childhood
Other specified interstitial pulmonary diseases
Interstitial pulmonary disease, unspecified
Abscess of lung and mediastinum
Gangrene and necrosis of lung
Abscess of lung with pneumonia
Abscess of lung without pneumonia
Abscess of mediastinum
Pyothorax with fistula
Pyothorax without fistula
Pleural effusion, not elsewhere classified
Pleural effusion in conditions classified elsewhere
Malignant pleural effusion
Pleural effusion in other conditions classified elsewhere
Pleural plaque with presence of asbestos
Pleural plaque without asbestos
Pneumothorax and air leak
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.