Diseases of the digestive system
2018/2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code K44
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- K44 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018/2019 edition of ICD-10-CM K44 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of K44 - other international versions of ICD-10 K44 may differ.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as K44. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- hiatus hernia (esophageal) (sliding)
- paraesophageal hernia
The following code(s) above K44
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to K44
- A congenital or acquired weakness or opening in the diaphragm which allows abdominal contents to protrude into the chest cavity; congenital diaphragmatic hernias are caused when the embryonic diaphragm fails to fuse.
- A hiatal hernia in which the stomach herniation is located alongside the esophagus and the esophagogastric junction is in its normal position below the diaphragm.
- Protrusion of abdominal structures into the thorax as a result of congenital or traumatic defects in the respiratory diaphragm.
- The most common kind of hiatal hernia in which the esophagogastric junction slides above the diaphragm into the thorax.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to K44:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To K44
Incisional hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Incisional hernia with gangrene
Incisional hernia without obstruction or gangrene
Parastomal hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Parastomal hernia with gangrene
Parastomal hernia without obstruction or gangrene
Other and unspecified ventral hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Other and unspecified ventral hernia with gangrene
Ventral hernia without obstruction or gangrene
Diaphragmatic hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Diaphragmatic hernia with gangrene
Diaphragmatic hernia without obstruction or gangrene
Other abdominal hernia
Other specified abdominal hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Other specified abdominal hernia with gangrene
Other specified abdominal hernia without obstruction or gangrene
Unspecified abdominal hernia
Unspecified abdominal hernia with obstruction, without gangrene
Unspecified abdominal hernia with gangrene
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.