Diseases of the digestive system
Disorders of gallbladder, biliary tract and pancreas
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code K81
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code K81
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- K81 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM K81 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of K81 - other international versions of ICD-10 K81 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as K81. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above K81
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to K81
- A disorder characterized by inflammation involving the gallbladder. It may be associated with the presence of gallstones.
- An acute or chronic inflammation involving the gallbladder wall. It may be associated with the presence of gallstones.
- Inflammation of the gallbladder; generally caused by impairment of bile flow, gallstones in the biliary tract, infections, or other diseases.
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to K81:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To K81
Calculus of gallbladder and bile duct with chronic cholecystitis without obstruction
Calculus of gallbladder and bile duct with chronic cholecystitis with obstruction
Calculus of gallbladder and bile duct with acute and chronic cholecystitis without obstruction
Calculus of gallbladder and bile duct with acute and chronic cholecystitis with obstruction
Calculus of gallbladder and bile duct without cholecystitis
Acute cholecystitis with chronic cholecystitis
Other diseases of gallbladder
Obstruction of gallbladder
Hydrops of gallbladder
Perforation of gallbladder
Fistula of gallbladder
Cholesterolosis of gallbladder
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.