Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
2021 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M10.2
2021 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M10.2
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- M10.2 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2021 edition of ICD-10-CM M10.2 became effective on October 1, 2020.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of M10.2 - other international versions of ICD-10 M10.2 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
- code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug (T36-T50
ICD-10-CM Range T36-T50
with fifth or sixth character 5)
Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of drugs, medicaments and biological substances
- , for adverse effects, the nature of the adverse effect, such as:
- adverse effect NOS (T88.7)
- aspirin gastritis (K29.-)
- blood disorders (D56-D76)
- contact dermatitis (L23-L25)
- dermatitis due to substances taken internally (L27.-)
- nephropathy (N14.0-N14.2)
- adverse effect of correct substance properly administered
- poisoning by overdose of substance
- poisoning by wrong substance given or taken in error
- underdosing by (inadvertently) (deliberately) taking less substance than prescribed or instructed
- The drug giving rise to the adverse effect should be identified by use of codes from categories T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5.
Type 1 Excludes
- toxic reaction to local anesthesia in pregnancy (O29.3-)
Type 2 Excludes
- abuse and dependence of psychoactive substances (F10-F19)
- abuse of non-dependence-producing substances (F55.-)
- immunodeficiency due to drugs (D84.821)
- drug reaction and poisoning affecting newborn (P00-P96)
- pathological drug intoxication (inebriation) (F10-F19)
- code(s) to specify:
- manifestations of poisoning
- underdosing or failure in dosage during medical and surgical care (Y63.6, Y63.8-Y63.9)
- underdosing of medication regimen (Z91.12-, Z91.13-)
- T36 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T37 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T38 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T39 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T40 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T41 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T42 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T43 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T44 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T45 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T46 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T47 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T48 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T49 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
- T50 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and unde...
The following code(s) above M10.2
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to M10.2
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
- 2021 (effective 10/1/2020): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To M10.2
Lead-induced gout, knee
Lead-induced gout, right knee
Lead-induced gout, left knee
Lead-induced gout, unspecified knee
Lead-induced gout, ankle and foot
Lead-induced gout, right ankle and foot
Lead-induced gout, left ankle and foot
Lead-induced gout, unspecified ankle and foot
Drug-induced gout, shoulder
Drug-induced gout, right shoulder
Drug-induced gout, left shoulder
Drug-induced gout, unspecified shoulder
Drug-induced gout, elbow
Drug-induced gout, right elbow
Drug-induced gout, left elbow
Drug-induced gout, unspecified elbow
Drug-induced gout, wrist
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.