Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
Other disorders of bone
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M89.6
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- M89.6 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM M89.6 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of M89.6 - other international versions of ICD-10 M89.6 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as M89.6. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above M89.6
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to M89.6
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To M89.6
Osteolysis, right lower leg
Osteolysis, unspecified lower leg
Osteolysis, ankle and foot
Osteolysis, right ankle and foot
Osteolysis, left ankle and foot
Osteolysis, unspecified ankle and foot
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, shoulder
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, right shoulder
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, left shoulder
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, unspecified shoulder
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, upper arm
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, right upper arm
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, left upper arm
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, unspecified upper arm
Osteopathy after poliomyelitis, forearm
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.