Diseases of the genitourinary system
Diseases of male genital organs
Benign prostatic hyperplasia N40
Benign prostatic hyperplasia N40-
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as N40. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (N40) and the excluded code together.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- adenofibromatous hypertrophy of prostate
- benign hypertrophy of the prostate
- benign prostatic hypertrophy
- enlarged prostate
- nodular prostate
- polyp of prostate
- A benign (noncancerous) condition in which an overgrowth of prostate tissue pushes against the urethra and the bladder, blocking the flow of urine.
- Increase in constituent cells in the prostate, leading to enlargement of the organ (hypertrophy) and adverse impact on the lower urinary tract function. This can be caused by increased rate of cell proliferation, reduced rate of cell death, or both.
- N40 Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- N40.0 Benign prostatic hyperplasia without lower urinary tract symptoms
- N40.1 Benign prostatic hyperplasia with lower urinary tract symptoms
- N40.2 Nodular prostate without lower urinary tract symptoms
- N40.3 Nodular prostate with lower urinary tract symptoms