Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period
Other birth injuries
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code P15.9
Birth injury, unspecified
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code Code on Newborn Record
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- P15.9 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM P15.9 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of P15.9 - other international versions of ICD-10 P15.9 may differ.
- P15.9 should be used on the newborn record - not on the maternal record.
The following code(s) above P15.9
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to P15.9
ICD-10-CM P15.9 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- Mechanical or anoxic trauma incurred by or to the infant during labor or delivery.
- Mechanical or anoxic trauma incurred by the infant during labor or delivery.
- Physical injuries (such as brain damage) received during birth, mostly in, but not limited to, breech births, instrument deliveries, neonatal anoxia, or premature births. Used for both human and animal populations.
- 794 Neonate with other significant problems
Convert P15.9 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
- during birth P15.9 (newborn)
- Injury T14.90 - see also specified injury type
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code T14.90
2016 2017 2018 - Converted to Parent Code 2019 2020 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To P15.9
Birth injury to peripheral nervous system, unspecified
Birth injury to liver
Birth injury to spleen
Sternomastoid injury due to birth injury
Birth injury to eye
Birth injury to face
Birth injury to external genitalia
Subcutaneous fat necrosis due to birth injury
Other specified birth injuries
Birth injury, unspecified
Metabolic acidemia in newborn
Metabolic acidemia in newborn first noted before onset of labor
Metabolic acidemia in newborn first noted during labor
Metabolic acidemia noted at birth
Metabolic acidemia, unspecified
Respiratory distress of newborn
Respiratory distress syndrome of newborn
Transient tachypnea of newborn
Other respiratory distress of newborn
Respiratory distress of newborn, unspecified
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.