Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period
Respiratory and cardiovascular disorders specific to the perinatal period
2018 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code P23
2016 2017 2018 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- P23 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2018 edition of ICD-10-CM P23 became effective on October 1, 2017.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of P23 - other international versions of ICD-10 P23 may differ.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as P23. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- infective pneumonia acquired in utero or during birth
The following code(s) above P23
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to P23
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to P23:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To P23
Metabolic acidemia in newborn
Metabolic acidemia in newborn first noted before onset of labor
Metabolic acidemia in newborn first noted during labor
Metabolic acidemia noted at birth
Metabolic acidemia, unspecified
Respiratory distress of newborn
Respiratory distress syndrome of newborn
Transient tachypnea of newborn
Other respiratory distress of newborn
Respiratory distress of newborn, unspecified
Congenital pneumonia due to viral agent
Congenital pneumonia due to Chlamydia
Congenital pneumonia due to staphylococcus
Congenital pneumonia due to streptococcus, group B
Congenital pneumonia due to Escherichia coli
Congenital pneumonia due to Pseudomonas
Congenital pneumonia due to other bacterial agents
Congenital pneumonia due to other organisms
Congenital pneumonia, unspecified
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.