Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities
Congenital malformations of the nervous system
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Q01.9
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
- Q01.9 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM Q01.9 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of Q01.9 - other international versions of ICD-10 Q01.9 may differ.
The following code(s) above Q01.9
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to Q01.9
- Arnold chiari type 3
- Chiari malformation type iii
- Congenital cerebral meningocele
- Cranial hydromeningocele
- Meningocele cerebral, congenital
Present On Admission
- A congenital neural tube closure defect resulting in the protrusion of the brain through a skull opening. When the protrusion includes the meninges, the term encephalomeningocele is used.
- Brain tissue herniation through a congenital or acquired defect in the skull. The majority of congenital encephaloceles occur in the occipital or frontal regions. Clinical features include a protuberant mass that may be pulsatile. The quantity and location of protruding neural tissue determines the type and degree of neurologic deficit. Visual defects, psychomotor developmental delay, and persistent motor deficits frequently occur.
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
ICD-10-CM Q01.9 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v36.0):
- Q01.9 is considered exempt from POA reporting.
- 091 Other disorders of nervous system with mcc
- 092 Other disorders of nervous system with cc
- 093 Other disorders of nervous system without cc/mcc
- 793 Full term neonate with major problems
Convert Q01.9 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To Q01.9
Condition originating in the perinatal period, unspecified
Anencephaly and similar malformations
Encephalocele of other sites
Malformations of aqueduct of Sylvius
Atresia of foramina of Magendie and Luschka
Other congenital hydrocephalus
Congenital hydrocephalus, unspecified
Other congenital malformations of brain
Congenital malformations of corpus callosum
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.