Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified
General symptoms and signs
Malaise and fatigue
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code R53.81
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code
- R53.81 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM R53.81 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of R53.81 - other international versions of ICD-10 R53.81 may differ.
- Chronic debility
- Debility NOS
- General physical deterioration
- Malaise NOS
- Nervous debility
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as R53.81. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above R53.81
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to R53.81
- Decline in functional status
- Malaise and fatigue
- Physical deconditioning
ICD-10-CM R53.81 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- A disorder characterized by a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness, an out-of-sorts feeling.
- A feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness, an out-of-sorts feeling. (cdc glossary)
- A mental disorder characterized by chronic fatigue and concomitant physiologic symptoms.
- Malaise: a vague feeling of physical discomfort or apprehension.
- The property of lacking physical or mental strength; liability to failure under pressure or stress or strain. (wordnet)
- 947 Signs and symptoms with mcc
- 948 Signs and symptoms without mcc
Convert R53.81 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To R53.81
Febrile nonhemolytic transfusion reaction
Neoplastic (malignant) related fatigue
Other malaise and fatigue
Chronic fatigue, unspecified
Age-related physical debility
Convulsions, not elsewhere classified
Simple febrile convulsions
Complex febrile convulsions
Post traumatic seizures
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.