Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified
General symptoms and signs
Edema, not elsewhere classified
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code R60.9
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code
- R60.9 is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM R60.9 became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of R60.9 - other international versions of ICD-10 R60.9 may differ.
The following code(s) above R60.9
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to R60.9
- Body fluid retention
- Edema (swelling)
- Edema (swelling), arms and legs
- Edema of face
- Edema of foot
- Facial edema
- Pedal edema (foot swelling)
- Peripheral edema
ICD-10-CM R60.9 is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- (eh-dee-ma) swelling caused by excess fluid in body tissues.
- Abnormal fluid accumulation in tissues or body cavities. Most cases of edema are present under the skin in subcutaneous tissue.
- Accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells or intercellular tissues.
- Edema means swelling caused by fluid in your body's tissues. It usually occurs in the feet, ankles and legs, but it can involve your entire body. Causes of edema include
to keep swelling down, your health care provider may recommend keeping your legs raised when sitting, wearing support stockings, limiting how much salt you eat or taking a medicine called a diuretic - also called a water pill.
- eating too much salt
- heart failure
- kidney disease
- liver problems from cirrhosis
- problems with lymph nodes, especially after mastectomy
- some medicines
- standing or walking a lot when the weather is warm
- Pathological transudate within one or more tissues.
- Swelling caused by excess fluid in body tissues.
- Swelling from excessive accumulation of serous fluid in tissue.
- 947 Signs and symptoms with mcc
- 948 Signs and symptoms without mcc
Convert R60.9 to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
Code annotations containing back-references to R60.9:
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To R60.9
Hemorrhage, not elsewhere classified
Localized enlarged lymph nodes
Generalized enlarged lymph nodes
Enlarged lymph nodes, unspecified
Edema, not elsewhere classified
Lack of expected normal physiological development in childhood and adults
Delayed milestone in childhood
Other and unspecified lack of expected normal physiological development in childhood
Unspecified lack of expected normal physiological development in childhood
Failure to thrive (child)
Other lack of expected normal physiological development in childhood
Adult failure to thrive
Symptoms and signs concerning food and fluid intake
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.