Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
Injuries to the abdomen, lower back, lumbar spine, pelvis and external genitals
Fracture of lumbar spine and pelvis S32- >
- A fracture not indicated as displaced or nondisplaced should be coded to displaced
- A fracture not indicated as opened or closed should be coded to closed
Code First Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as S32. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (S32) and the excluded code together.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- fracture of lumbosacral neural arch
- fracture of lumbosacral spinous process
- fracture of lumbosacral transverse process
- fracture of lumbosacral vertebra
- fracture of lumbosacral vertebral arch
- S32.0- Fracture of lumbar vertebra
- S32.1- Fracture of sacrum
- S32.2- Fracture of coccyx
- S32.3- Fracture of ilium
- S32.4- Fracture of acetabulum
- S32.5- Fracture of pubis
- S32.6- Fracture of ischium
- S32.8- Fracture of other parts of pelvis
- S32.9- Fracture of unspecified parts of lumbosacral spine and pelvis