Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
Injuries to the knee and lower leg
Fracture of lower leg, including ankle S82- >
- A fracture not indicated as displaced or nondisplaced should be coded to displaced
- A fracture not indicated as open or closed should be coded to closed
- The open fracture designations are based on the Gustilo open fracture classification
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as S82. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (S82) and the excluded code together.
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- S82.0- Fracture of patella
- S82.1- Fracture of upper end of tibia
- S82.2- Fracture of shaft of tibia
- S82.3- Fracture of lower end of tibia
- S82.4- Fracture of shaft of fibula
- S82.5- Fracture of medial malleolus
- S82.6- Fracture of lateral malleolus
- S82.8- Other fractures of lower leg
- S82.9- Unspecified fracture of lower leg