Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
Effects of foreign body entering through natural orifice
Foreign body in respiratory tract
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code T17.900D
Unspecified foreign body in respiratory tract, part unspecified causing asphyxiation, subsequent encounter
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
- T17.900D is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- Short description: Unsp fb in resp tract, part unsp causing asphyx, subs
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM T17.900D became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of T17.900D - other international versions of ICD-10 T17.900D may differ.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above T17.900D
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to T17.900D
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
ICD-10-CM T17.900D is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- T17.900D is considered exempt from POA reporting.
- 949 Aftercare with cc/mcc
- 950 Aftercare without cc/mcc
Convert T17.900D to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To T17.900D
Other foreign object in other parts of respiratory tract causing other injury
Foreign body in respiratory tract, part unspecified
Unspecified foreign body in respiratory tract, part unspecified
Unspecified foreign body in respiratory tract, part unspecified causing asphyxiation
…… subsequent encounter
Unspecified foreign body in respiratory tract, part unspecified causing other injury
Gastric contents in respiratory tract, part unspecified
Gastric contents in respiratory tract, part unspecified causing asphyxiation
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.