Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
Other and unspecified effects of external causes
Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code T78.8XXS
Other adverse effects, not elsewhere classified, sequela
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
- T78.8XXS is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM T78.8XXS became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of T78.8XXS - other international versions of ICD-10 T78.8XXS may differ.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above T78.8XXS
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to T78.8XXS
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
ICD-10-CM T78.8XXS is grouped within Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG v37.0):
- T78.8XXS is considered exempt from POA reporting.
- 922 Other injury, poisoning and toxic effect diagnoses with mcc
- 923 Other injury, poisoning and toxic effect diagnoses without mcc
Convert T78.8XXS to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To T78.8XXS
Other adverse effects, not elsewhere classified
Certain early complications of trauma, not elsewhere classified
Air embolism (traumatic)
Fat embolism (traumatic)
Traumatic secondary and recurrent hemorrhage and seroma
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.