External causes of morbidity
Other land transport accidents
Motor- or nonmotor-vehicle accident, type of vehicle unspecified
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code V89.9XXD
Person injured in unspecified vehicle accident, subsequent encounter
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- V89.9XXD is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- Short description: Person injured in unspecified vehicle accident, subs encntr
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM V89.9XXD became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of V89.9XXD - other international versions of ICD-10 V89.9XXD may differ.
- V89.9XXD describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above V89.9XXD
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to V89.9XXD
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
- V89.9XXD is considered exempt from POA reporting.
Convert V89.9XXD to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To V89.9XXD
Person injured in unspecified motor-vehicle accident, traffic
Person injured in unspecified nonmotor-vehicle accident, traffic
Person injured in unspecified vehicle accident
…… subsequent encounter
Drowning and submersion due to accident to watercraft
Drowning and submersion due to watercraft overturning
Drowning and submersion due to merchant ship overturning
Drowning and submersion due to passenger ship overturning
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.