External causes of morbidity
Water transport accidents
Drowning and submersion due to accident to watercraft
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code V90.05XS
Drowning and submersion due to canoe or kayak overturning, sequela
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- V90.05XS is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- Short description: Drown due to canoe or kayak overturning, sequela
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM V90.05XS became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of V90.05XS - other international versions of ICD-10 V90.05XS may differ.
- V90.05XS describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above V90.05XS
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to V90.05XS
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
- V90.05XS is considered exempt from POA reporting.
Convert V90.05XS to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To V90.05XS
Drowning and submersion due to sailboat overturning
Drowning and submersion due to canoe or kayak overturning
Drowning and submersion due to (nonpowered) inflatable craft overturning
Drowning and submersion due to other unpowered watercraft overturning
Drowning and submersion due to unspecified watercraft overturning
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.