External causes of morbidity
Water transport accidents
Drowning and submersion due to accident to watercraft
2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code V90.12XS
Drowning and submersion due to fishing boat sinking, sequela
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- V90.12XS is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM V90.12XS became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of V90.12XS - other international versions of ICD-10 V90.12XS may differ.
- V90.12XS describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above V90.12XS
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to V90.12XS
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
- V90.12XS is considered exempt from POA reporting.
Convert V90.12XS to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To V90.12XS
Drowning and submersion due to passenger ship sinking
Drowning and submersion due to fishing boat sinking
Drowning and submersion due to other powered watercraft sinking
Drowning and submersion due to sailboat sinking
Drowning and submersion due to canoe or kayak sinking
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.