External causes of morbidity
Intentional self-harm by other and unspecified firearm and gun discharge
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code X74.9XXD
Intentional self-harm by unspecified firearm discharge, subsequent encounter
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- X74.9XXD is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- Short description: Intentional self-harm by unsp firearm discharge, subs encntr
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM X74.9XXD became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of X74.9XXD - other international versions of ICD-10 X74.9XXD may differ.
- X74.9XXD describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
Present On Admission
The following code(s) above X74.9XXD
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to X74.9XXD
"Present On Admission" is defined as present at the time the order for inpatient admission occurs — conditions that develop during an outpatient encounter, including emergency department, observation, or outpatient surgery, are considered POA.
- X74.9XXD is considered exempt from POA reporting.
Convert X74.9XXD to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To X74.9XXD
Intentional self-harm by other gas, air or spring-operated gun
Intentional self-harm by other firearm discharge
Intentional self-harm by unspecified firearm discharge
…… subsequent encounter
Intentional self-harm by explosive material
Intentional self-harm by explosive material, initial encounter
Intentional self-harm by explosive material, subsequent encounter
Intentional self-harm by explosive material, sequela
Intentional self-harm by smoke, fire and flames
Intentional self-harm by smoke, fire and flames, initial encounter
Intentional self-harm by smoke, fire and flames, subsequent encounter
Intentional self-harm by smoke, fire and flames, sequela
Intentional self-harm by steam, hot vapors and hot objects
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.