External causes of morbidity
Intentional self-harm by sharp object
2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code X78.8XXS
Intentional self-harm by other sharp object, sequela
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Billable/Specific Code
ICD-10-CM Coding Rules
- X78.8XXS is a billable/specific ICD-10-CM code that can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- The 2020 edition of ICD-10-CM X78.8XXS became effective on October 1, 2019.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of X78.8XXS - other international versions of ICD-10 X78.8XXS may differ.
- X78.8XXS describes the circumstance causing an injury, not the nature of the injury.
The following code(s) above X78.8XXS
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to X78.8XXS
Convert X78.8XXS to ICD-9-CM
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To X78.8XXS
Intentional self-harm by sword or dagger
Intentional self-harm by other sharp object
Intentional self-harm by unspecified sharp object
Intentional self-harm by blunt object
Intentional self-harm by blunt object, initial encounter
Intentional self-harm by blunt object, subsequent encounter
Intentional self-harm by blunt object, sequela
Intentional self-harm by jumping from a high place
Intentional self-harm by jumping from a high place, initial encounter
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.