Factors influencing health status and contact with health services
Retained foreign body fragments
Retained foreign body fragments Z18- >
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as Z18. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- artificial joint prosthesis status (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z96.6
Presence of orthopedic joint implants
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- foreign body accidentally left during a procedure (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code T81.5
Complications of foreign body accidentally left in body following procedure
2016 2017 2018 2019 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- foreign body entering through orifice (T15-T19
ICD-10-CM Range T15-T19
Effects of foreign body entering through natural orifice
Type 2 Excludes
- foreign body accidentally left in operation wound (T81.5-)
- foreign body in penetrating wound - See open wound by body region
- residual foreign body in soft tissue (M79.5)
- splinter, without open wound - See superficial injury by body region
- T15 Foreign body on external eye
- T16 Foreign body in ear
- T17 Foreign body in respiratory tract
- T18 Foreign body in alimentary tract
- T19 Foreign body in genitourinary tract
- in situ cardiac device (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z95
- Z95 Presence of cardiac and vascular implants and...
- Z95.0 Presence of cardiac pacemaker
- Z95.1 Presence of aortocoronary bypass graft
- Z95.2 Presence of prosthetic heart valve
- Z95.3 Presence of xenogenic heart valve
- Z95.4 Presence of other heart-valve replacement
- Z95.5 Presence of coronary angioplasty implant and ...
- Z95.8 Presence of other cardiac and vascular implan...
- Z95.81 Presence of other cardiac implants and grafts...
- Z95.810 Presence of automatic (implantable) cardiac d...
- Z95.811 Presence of heart assist device
- Z95.812 Presence of fully implantable artificial hear...
- Z95.818 Presence of other cardiac implants and grafts...
- Z95.82 Presence of other vascular implants and graft...
- Z95.820 Peripheral vascular angioplasty status with i...
- Z95.828 Presence of other vascular implants and graft...
- Z95.9 Presence of cardiac and vascular implant and ...
- organ or tissue replaced by means other than transplant (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z96
- Z96 Presence of other functional implants
- Z96.0 Presence of urogenital implants
- Z96.1 Presence of intraocular lens
- Z96.2 Presence of otological and audiological impla...
- Z96.20 Presence of otological and audiological impla...
- Z96.21 Cochlear implant status
- Z96.22 Myringotomy tube(s) status
- Z96.29 Presence of other otological and audiological...
- Z96.3 Presence of artificial larynx
- Z96.4 Presence of endocrine implants
- Z96.41 Presence of insulin pump (external) (internal...
- Z96.49 Presence of other endocrine implants
- Z96.5 Presence of tooth-root and mandibular implant...
- Z96.6 Presence of orthopedic joint implants
- Z96.60 Presence of unspecified orthopedic joint impl...
- Z96.61 Presence of artificial shoulder joint
- Z96.611 Presence of right artificial shoulder joint
- Z96.612 Presence of left artificial shoulder joint
- Z96.619 Presence of unspecified artificial shoulder j...
- Z96.62 Presence of artificial elbow joint
- Z96.621 Presence of right artificial elbow joint
- Z96.622 Presence of left artificial elbow joint
- Z96.629 Presence of unspecified artificial elbow join...
- Z96.63 Presence of artificial wrist joint
- Z96.631 Presence of right artificial wrist joint
- Z96.632 Presence of left artificial wrist joint
- Z96.639 Presence of unspecified artificial wrist join...
- Z96.64 Presence of artificial hip joint
- Z96.641 Presence of right artificial hip joint
- Z96.642 Presence of left artificial hip joint
- Z96.643 …… bilateral
- Z96.649 Presence of unspecified artificial hip joint
- Z96.65 Presence of artificial knee joint
- Z96.651 Presence of right artificial knee joint
- Z96.652 Presence of left artificial knee joint
- Z96.653 …… bilateral
- Z96.659 Presence of unspecified artificial knee joint...
- Z96.66 Presence of artificial ankle joint
- Z96.661 Presence of right artificial ankle joint
- Z96.662 Presence of left artificial ankle joint
- Z96.669 Presence of unspecified artificial ankle join...
- Z96.69 Presence of other orthopedic joint implants
- Z96.691 Finger-joint replacement of right hand
- Z96.692 Finger-joint replacement of left hand
- Z96.693 Finger-joint replacement, bilateral
- Z96.698 Presence of other orthopedic joint implants
- Z96.7 Presence of other bone and tendon implants
- Z96.8 Presence of other specified functional implan...
- Z96.81 Presence of artificial skin
- Z96.89 Presence of other specified functional implan...
- Z96.9 Presence of functional implant, unspecified
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z97
- Z97 Presence of other devices
- Z97.0 Presence of artificial eye
- Z97.1 Presence of artificial limb (complete) (parti...
- Z97.10 Presence of artificial limb (complete) (parti...
- Z97.11 Presence of artificial right arm (complete) (...
- Z97.12 Presence of artificial left arm (complete) (p...
- Z97.13 Presence of artificial right leg (complete) (...
- Z97.14 Presence of artificial left leg (complete) (p...
- Z97.15 Presence of artificial arms, bilateral (compl...
- Z97.16 Presence of artificial legs, bilateral (compl...
- Z97.2 Presence of dental prosthetic device (complet...
- Z97.3 Presence of spectacles and contact lenses
- Z97.4 Presence of external hearing-aid
- Z97.5 Presence of (intrauterine) contraceptive devi...
- Z97.8 Presence of other specified devices
- organ or tissue replaced by transplant (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z94
- Z94 Transplanted organ and tissue status
- Z94.0 Kidney transplant status
- Z94.1 Heart transplant status
- Z94.2 Lung transplant status
- Z94.3 Heart and lungs transplant status
- Z94.4 Liver transplant status
- Z94.5 Skin transplant status
- Z94.6 Bone transplant status
- Z94.7 Corneal transplant status
- Z94.8 Other transplanted organ and tissue status
- Z94.81 Bone marrow transplant status
- Z94.82 Intestine transplant status
- Z94.83 Pancreas transplant status
- Z94.84 Stem cells transplant status
- Z94.89 Other transplanted organ and tissue status
- Z94.9 Transplanted organ and tissue status, unspeci...
- personal history of retained foreign body fully removed
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z87.821
Personal history of retained foreign body fully removed
2016 2017 2018 2019 Billable/Specific Code POA Exempt
- superficial foreign body (non-embedded splinter) - code to superficial foreign body, by site
"Includes" further defines, or give examples of, the content of the code or category.
- embedded fragment (status)
- embedded splinter (status)
- retained foreign body status
- Z18 Retained foreign body fragments
- Z18.0 Retained radioactive fragments
- Z18.01 Retained depleted uranium fragments
- Z18.09 Other retained radioactive fragments
- Z18.1 Retained metal fragments
- Z18.10 …… unspecified
- Z18.11 Retained magnetic metal fragments
- Z18.12 Retained nonmagnetic metal fragments
- Z18.2 Retained plastic fragments
- Z18.3 Retained organic fragments
- Z18.31 Retained animal quills or spines
- Z18.32 Retained tooth
- Z18.33 Retained wood fragments
- Z18.39 Other retained organic fragments
- Z18.8 Other specified retained foreign body
- Z18.81 Retained glass fragments
- Z18.83 Retained stone or crystalline fragments
- Z18.89 …… fragments
- Z18.9 Retained foreign body fragments, unspecified material